Ryan boots five to keep dream alive

By Nicholas Galea
August 9 2022 - 12:00pm
AFL-listed Sampson Ryan ... kicked five goals, as well as notching 11 marks and 18 disposals. Photo: Wayne Ludbey, Richmond Football Club
AFL-listed Sampson Ryan ... kicked five goals, as well as notching 11 marks and 18 disposals. Photo: Wayne Ludbey, Richmond Football Club

Richmond continues to keep its VFL season alive as the Tigers dismantled the Northern Bullants to the tune of 82 points at the weekend, with an impressive return by developing forward-ruck Sampson Ryan.

After an even opening quarter, Richmond asserted its supremacy courtesy of a 56-36 inside 50 domination which saw the side produce a 13 goal-to-three second half to overwhelm the Bullants.

Ryan, an AFL-listed player, returned from concussion to kick five goals to go with 11 marks and 18 disposals, while Thomson Dow and Hugo Ralphsmith combined for 44 touches to show the Tiger faithful that their midfield stocks are in good hands.

The Tigers ran out winners 21.10.136 to 7.12.54. The much-needed percentage boost leaves the team in eighth place with 10 wins.

Round 21 will see Richmond have a bye before it plays its final game of the home and away campaign against standalone club the Frankston Dolphins, which has shown plenty of improvement this season, at the Swinburne Centre.


Richmond's AFLW team knocked over Fremantle by 63 points, 10.11.71 to 1.2.8, to kick off the first of its two practice matches before it plays its first game of the seventh AFLW season on Sunday, August 28, against Geelong at GMHBA Stadium.

The Tigers' next game will be on Sunday, when they play their first practice match at the MCG against Hawthorn, as the curtain raiser to the AFL clash between the two sides.


In the VAFA Division Three, the Richmond Centrals Football Club notched its sixth win of the year, defeating Emmaus St Leos by 31 points, 16.9.105 to 10.14.74, thanks to seven goals in the second term, where they arguably played their best football of the season to lead by 40 points at half time.

Emmaus came back hard in the third quarter kicking three in a row to give the side hope before the Centrals stabilised and slowed down their momentum to hold a three-goal lead at three-quarter time. The Centrals maintained their composure for a five-goal win come full-time.

Senior Coach George Koumantatakis believed the win was due reward after their efforts over the last few games.

"We were tracking in that general direction but were falling short," Koumantatakis said.

"We got challenged in that third quarter ... we had to show some resilience and not get too spooked by their ability to win the ball. The pleasing thing was we found a way to kick back and see it through."

Round 17 will see the Centrals take on Parkside at Pitcher Park this Saturday for their final game of the season, as they have a bye in Round 18.


In VAFA Division One, the Kew Football Club was too strong for Oakleigh AFC after a commanding final quarter ultimately gave the Bears a comfortable 30-point victory, 15.11.101 to 10.11.71.

The win was Kew's 14th of the season and leaves it just one game behind PEGS, with two games left as the club chases down the minor premiership.

After looking in control at half-time Oakleigh came back hard in the third quarter, stunning the home side with a five-goal to none term to make things interesting. However that was as close as Oakleigh would get, as Kew regained its composure to run away with it in the final quarter.

Kew Football Club president Michael Cochrane said it was important to get the win on what was a special day - co-captain Max Waters' 150th game for the club.

"Waters been an absolute leader even when he was in the U18s first starting out. He's always shown that leadership and he's now co-captain of the club," Cochrane said.

"It was a really good effort by Max, and the other boys lifted as well, when Oakleigh came at us in the third quarter."

Although sitting second on the ladder, Kew has been a touch inconsistent in recent weeks with its form (3-2 record) and is looking to get back to its best before the finals.

"We have a bit to go. We aren't putting four quarters together yet and that's showing with goalless terms like that, but we had enough run in the legs and quality in the last to get the game back on our terms," Cochrane said.

Round 18 will see the Kew Football Club Senior Men's team take on Prahan Assumption, which is still a finals chance.

More from Inner East Review latest news sidebar